Tuesday, June 3, 2014

girls weekend 2014

So, we were sitting at our kids' soccer practice a couple of months ago, when a few friends of mine started saying how we should go on a girls' trip somewhere ... of course, I chimed in with "there's no way Billy will watch Alice this young!" My friends were thinking of flying somewhere or doing a bigger trip ... but ultimately, they thought just a night at a hotel on the beach would be perfect.  I still thought that I would have to join them next year ... as Alice (at the time of the initial discussion) was only 2 1/2 months old.  But they had settled on a date that put her near the 4 month mark ... and so, I passed the idea along to Billy.  And ... he didn't totally throw it out.

He said he thought that would be okay.  I wondered how he would do with three kids for two days and one night all by himself ... I knew he would be more than fine with the older two ... but Alice ... sweet, baby Allie ... she is just too small.  Don't get me wrong, he is VERY good with her.  He is better than he gives himself credit for ... he just prefers them to be walking ... and eating solid foods ... and probably feeding themselves!  I knew all would be fine, but I worried that he would forget something that I told him or be anxiously awaiting outside of the house for my return home while the kids tore up the house inside.

But ... I decided to take his gracious goodwill and go on my girls' weekend with two of my friends from MOMs Club and my good friend, Gwendy.

The weekend started out ... in a crazy way!  I got out of the house late due to some unforeseen circumstances.  Upon picking up my second friend from her house, I get a text about a broken bottle ... and then ... I realized that when I showed Billy how to put together the incredibly annoying Dr. Brown bottles, he may have been watching the NBA finals at the same time.  I may have said, "Billy, do you see this?  Are you paying attention?"  He may have answered, "Yeah, clean this, put together that, I got it."  But he wasn't paying attention, and no, he did not get it.  It's partially my fault for not diagramming it on paper or with photos for him (and for thinking he could possibly pay attention to me with Tim Duncan's big face stretched across the TV screen) ... and it's partially his fault for not paying attention and telling me that he "got it".  In the end, it got figured out ... it only took--4 trips back and forth to the house from where he had the kids eating lunch, 2 picture texts diagramming the contents of a Dr. Brown's bottle, a few annoyed phone calls, some long descriptive texts, and a few tries getting her to drink from a different bottle.

But I have to say, he never asked me to come home ... and he figured it out, so that I could have an enjoyable weekend with my friends.  We may have hit a small snafu, but it was nothing Mr. Mom couldn't handle!

As our fun commenced ... we did some lounging at the beach, lounging poolside, shopping, eating at a fancy restaurant, chit-chatting, got some massages, and spa time ... and all without one kid interrupting us or needing something ... no potty breaks, snack time fiascos, meltdowns, early wake-up calls, sand eating, loud-yelling, screaming, diaper changing ... it was very nice ... but I can't say that we didn't talk about our kids and husbands often!

We all agreed that next time, we need two nights, so we can have more beach time ... and we need to get the 80 minutes massage instead of the 50 minute massage.  Other than that, it couldn't have been more perfect.  It's nice to have a break once in a great while, and we enjoyed it ... and then we were really excited to get back to our families!  We all snuggled a little longer at bed time and read an extra  story ... just because even though our lives may feel overwhelming sometimes ... hectic ... out of control ... we love our kids more than our need for sanity, and we miss the snotty-nosed kisses and the constant need for our love and attention ... because those little angels make our lives better with each passing day.

Cheers to Girls' Weekend 2014 ... and our husbands who made it possible!
It was a gorgeous evening at the beach!
A most beautiful sunset!
Most beautiful evening on the beach ... the clouds were gorgeous against the sand and sea ... and the weather was so cool and breezy!
Our view at dinner ... those clouds are above the ocean ... which it is too dark for you to see in a picture.
Dinner selfie!  
Enjoying our beach time! 
Getting ready for our massages.
Love this girl! We're enjoying spa time!
Lunching at The Original Frenchy's Cafe ... mmmmmm .... poutine!
Aren't these the cutest chocolates!?!  They are so beautiful ... like jewels.  And they were SUPER delicious!
We stopped to get some macarons!  BEST EVER!

No comments:

Post a Comment