Wednesday, June 15, 2011

much needed "murrill-time"

It's been a week since we were at the Murrill's house in Chicago, but I just didn't have the chance to blog about it while we were visiting our other friends in MN this past week. So, for now ... I will update you on our Chicago trip ... and tomorrow or the next day, I'll let you know what we did on our trip in Minneapolis this past week.

Colton was SO super excited to see Rosie! The last hour of our drive from Hutchinson, MN to Lombard, IL, he said, "Rosie's house!" He knew he was going to see his great friend--and potential future girlfriend--Monroe Murrill. I was, also, beyond excited to visit with Steph and Mark. I have been so sad since they moved from Orlando to Chicago about a year and a half ago. We hung out with them quite possibly every weekend ... and many nights of the week for a year and a half. We were lucky enough to have them visit us in March of this year ... and I was excited to see their house in Chicago for the first time. I find it so easy to hang out with Steph. A good friend is someone who you don't have to dress up for; you never have to worry about what to cook; you can talk about anything and everything so easily; and you never have to think about what you're doing with them ... it just comes naturally. That's how I feel when I'm with Steph and Mark. It's just like being at home. The other great thing is that Colton and Rosie get along really well, so it's easy to have them play together.

We went and did some shopping the first day I was there ... we needed a few groceries and just had to get out of the house for a little while. With toddlers, a trip somewhere helps break up the day and gives them something to do outside of the house. The kids loved Aldi, because they could ride together in the cart. It was too cute! At first, I couldn't get them to smile to save my life ... then I started making this weird noise (which I'm sure the other shoppers weren't bothered by), and they were soon giggling and laughing up a storm.
At first, Colton wasn't so sure about smiling for the picture ... or about Rosie being right there next to him in the cart. Especially with Rosie making all of those silly faces!
Still wondering ....


Soon, they were both giggling and being silly! Aren't they so cute!?!


When Colton first saw Mark on Sunday night, he wasn't so sure. Mark is so friendly and great with kids ... but all Colton could see was a big man. He's met Mark several times ... but only once since he's been a "big boy". He remembered Mark, but wasn't so sure that he wanted to play with Mark. Mark would say, "Hi Colton!" Colton would burst into tears. Mark ruffled Colton's hair, and he burst into tears. Mark would walk by Colton, and he would burst into tears ... for the first day.
This is Colton trying to make Mark disappear by squeezing his eyes closed when Mark talks to him.
It was too funny! Cole warmed up to Mark pretty fast, and Mark wasn't going to give up so easily. He was determined to have this little guy like him. It didn't take long before Colton would follow him around and say, "Mark, Mark, Mark!" On the last day, Colton and Mark were good buddies.
Giving Mark a hug goodnight.
And of course, a kiss!

As I was packing up the next morning, Colton was saying, "Mark's shoes, Mark shoes" ... and he had found Mark's crocs and was wearing one around the house like his good buddy, Mark.


I've got to tell you about these kids. They were having a blast playing together! They would chase each other with the strollers; tear out every book in the bookshelf; dig out all of the toys; giggle and laugh with each other ... there was no stopping the fun they had at Steph and Mark's. Here are some pictures of some of their escapades.
Playing together in Rosie's dollhouse. Colton was obsessed with the furniture in this thing. He had to carry it everywhere ... and of course, put it in his mouth ... since his molars have been breaking through, he's back into chewing on everything! I hate it.
Probably picking up some piece of dollhouse furniture. It was scattered all around the house everyday. I felt so bad!
The book mess ... they both LOVE books, and apparently each one needed some floor time.
Watch them ZOOM away as they race their strollers.
Dueling strollers ... they chased and chased and chased each other with these things. It's amazing how much fun you can have pushing something around like that!


I am so mad, because Tuesday night, we had dinner with Mike and Melissa Murrill and their boys, Mason and Max. I didn't get any pictures!!!! I really wanted to get some of their boys ... who are SO stinkin' cute! So, I'll just tell you how it went. After a day of shopping (we really tore up Crazy 8s), we had supper with the other Murrills at Sweet Tomatoes. It was delish! It was, also, really great to see Mike and Melissa and catch up on how their lives are going. Their little ones are adorable, and Mason, the little character, was just a sweet and charming little guy. He is such a caretaker, too. I could tell, because one time when we were finished with our meals and outside chatting before we left, Mason came up to Colton to say 'hi'. That made Colton feel like Mason might want to play with him. Cole followed Mason over to a grate where they both continued to drop sticks down inside. It was so cute to see Mason playing with little Colton. It made my heart melt. What a sweetie! And Max is just one cute and smiley little love monkey. He has the most gorgeous dark features. It was just so fun for me to see them in action for longer than a breeze by at church.

After a long day of shopping and being out and about, the kids crashed on the way home. They were exhausted!
Asleep not even five minutes down the road from the mall!
That night ... was my food poisoning revenge of the spinach ... I'm sure I had e-coli poisoning. It was terrible. I don't know if it was from lunch or dinner, but it was bad ... and I had the worst night ever. See my previous blog for details.

The next day, I was sad, because I was so tired from not sleeping and from being sick that I didn't spend any of the day with Rosie and Steph. Colton, thank goodness, took a LONG nap, and in turn, so did I! Our last day was spent in recovery. But I enjoyed every minute with Steph, Mark, and Rosie. It was a fantastic trip, and I can't wait to do it again sometime! My only regret (besides not taking pictures with Mike's kids) is that, because I was sick, I didn't get the chance to visit with Nicole, Zeb, and Ezra Meharry. I was pretty bummed about that, because I haven't met little 'E' yet. I was very excited for him and Colton to meet, too. Boo sickness!

Here are a few more pictures from our trip.
Steph with Colton and Rosie. She read many books to my kid. He loves to read, and for some reason, when other adults are around, he doesn't want to read with me. So, she was a trooper, and read to both kids many, many times. He loves Auntie Steph!
This little car may be about the only thing Rosie and Colton fought over. They both wanted to ride in it ... at the same time, of course. And why not? Isn't it luxury at it's finest? It's Fred Flintstone approved.
Colton and Rosie love music, and they had a grand time dancing ... together.
LOVE


Next time, I'll blog about our trip to the Keating's house in Minnetrista, MN. Another grand time with good friends ...

No comments:

Post a Comment