Wednesday, April 10, 2013

recipe blog


Well ... this one will be short and sweet (pun intended).  I have been asked by several of you for a couple of recipes.  I wish I could claim both as my very own, but alas, I must give credit where credit is due.  I will start with the recipe that I was given by my dear friend, Gwendy Adams.  She loves this Asian salad but can never make it at home, because the hubby isn't a big fan.  I tried it at a MOMs Club event, and I loved it!  Then I had it again at another event, and I decided that I needed that recipe.  So, as I sat down to write out my menu for the first two weeks of April, I made the commitment to get that recipe by adding to one night's dinner plan.  Gwendy graciously shared it with me, and I'm going to pass it along to anyone who might be reading my blogs.


Delicious and tasty!
Crunchy Asian Salad

Ingredients
1 16 oz. pkg. coleslaw (or broccoli slaw mix)
6 green onions, thinly sliced
1 cup slivered or sliced almonds, toasted
1 cup roasted sunflower seeds
1 3oz. pkg. chicken-flavored ramen noodles, uncooked and broken into pieces
1 3oz. pkg. oriental-flavored ramen noodles, uncooked and broken into pieces
1/2 cup vegetable oil (or canola oil)
1/3 cup sugar (or sugar substitute)
1/3 cup rice vinegar

Procedure

1. In a large bowl, combine slaw mix, onions, almonds, and sunflower seeds.  Set aside.  Break noodles into pieces, reserving seasoning packets.  Add noodles to slaw mixture.
2. In a small bowl (or dressing container), whisk together oil, sweetener, vinegar and reserved seasoning packets.  Pour over slaw mixture.  Season with pepper to taste.  Toss gently to coat.  Serve immediately.

(Serves 10 ... 335 calories per serving)


These are made into bug shapes, but I usually just make them in a pan!
Dark Chocolate Brownies with Sea Salt
Ingredients
1 stick butter (melted)
1 c. sugar
1/2 c. all purpose flour
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs
1/3 c. cocoa (I use Hershey's dark cocoa)
Fudge Frosting
3 tbsp. butter, softened to room temperature (not melted)
3 tbsp. cocoa (again, I use Hershey's dark cocoa)
1 tbsp. light corn syrup (or honey)
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 c. powdered sugar
1 to 2 tbsp. milk (depending on the how thick or runny you like it)
Procedure
1. Combine butter, sugar, vanilla & eggs--beat well. Add dry ingredients. 
2. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes. Cool completely before icing.
3. Sprinkle with sea salt after icing (to taste).

So, I thought I'd do one more recipe ... just because we ate it for dinner last night, and I loved it!!!!  It's super easy, fresh, and healthy.  Can't beat that!  



Fresh and healthy!
Roasted Red Potatoes & Roasted Balsamic Glazed Green Beans

Ingredients
as many fresh picked green beans as you want to eat
as many small red potatoes as you want to eat (I used 2 lbs.)
Balsamic vinegar
Sea salt
Fresh ground black pepper
Olive oil
Savory meat seasoning (of your choice)

Procedure

1. Wash and cut red potatoes to small pieces. Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with sea salt and pepper, to taste. Sprinkle with savory meat seasoning.  (I once asked a lady at a spice store what was the best seasoning with which to roast potatoes.  She said that anything you would rub on meat makes a great seasoning on potatoes ... since you most often have meat with potatoes.  I like Chicago Steak Seasoning by Penzys.  Rub that all together on the potatoes and bake at 400 degrees until you can poke through the potatoes with a fork.  You will smell the goodness when they are ready!
2. Wash and trim off the ends of the green beans.  Drizzle with olive oil.  Sprinkle with sea salt and pepper, to taste.  Bake at 400 degrees until tender to the fork but not mushy (you still want some crunch).  When you remove from the oven, drizzle balsamic vinegar over the top.  It will make a nice glaze, as the green beans will be hot.

Hope you all enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment