Saturday, June 2, 2012

st. thomas, USVI

Congratulations Cherrie & Josh!  What a lovely weekend we had in St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands.  It was a beautiful island, and we were very happy to be on vacation.  Billy hadn't had a day off since Christmas, and he was itching to be on a real vacation.  

We flew out on Friday afternoon.  Colton was super excited to meet Uncle Josh.  I don't know why ... but he got really obsessed about it.  I said, "Colton, are you ready to be in Aunt Cherrie's wedding?"  He said, "YEAH!" I said, "Are you excited to meet Uncle Josh?"  He said, "YEAH!  I want to see him right now."  Then for days after that, he would whine to me ... "I want to see Uncle Josh!"  "Where's Uncle Josh?" "I want to go meet Uncle Josh!"  It was really a thing for him.  I guess he was excited to have a new Uncle.  Colton thinks you're pretty cool, Uncle Josh!

The flights to St. Thomas went really well.  The first flight is only 40 minutes, so it was pretty easy both ways.  The flight from Miami to St. Thomas was good, because both of the kids slept for most of it!  I'm so glad it was a short trip.  We met Gerson, Brenda, and Ethan in the Miami airport.  We had the same flight together ... so when we arrived in St. Thomas, Dad H and Aunt Trudi picked us all up.  The condo we stayed at was really nice.  It was a strange drive there, though, because they drive on the wrong side of the road over there ... but the cars aren't backwards--I mean that the driver should be on the wrong side of the car, too ... but the driver is on the "regular" side of the car but driving on the "wrong" side of the road.  Talk about driving me crazy!  It was quite strange to say the least ... especially when Dad H was turning right once from the middle of the road! I about died.
Photo courtesy of Uncle Gerson--I love this picture of the Araujo and Heinrich cousins in the airport on the way to St. Thomas.
Photo courtesy of Aunt Debbie--just after we got to St. Thomas.
Colton ... during one of his naps ... this is the tent he slept in. Silly guy!


On Sabbath, we got up and went for a walk on the beach.  It was a gorgeous morning.  The water was incredible!  We took it easy and had a delicious breakfast.  Then we hung out and talked for a little bit before we all got ready to go on the boat for a snorkeling trip.
Just walking on the beach on Sabbath morning.

Shortly after this ... he fell in! :)
Love the view!


View from Mom, Dad, Debbie, Alan & Elle's Condo.

I will be the first one to tell you that I do not get motion sickness.  I have gotten it before, but usually in extreme circumstances.  The one main time I can remember getting sick on a boat was when Billy and I were in Thailand.  We were on the Indian Ocean heading to Koh Phi Phi.  We were sitting in the bottom of a large ferry, and the rocking waves were huge ... by the end of the trip, I was nauseous.  Past that ... I guess a few times, I have felt kind of ill while scuba diving when we just sit on the boat waiting for our next dive ... if the boat isn't moving just rocking.  Well, as long as this large catamaran was driving, I was fine.  We got off the boat, and went snorkeling.  Colton even got to get into the ocean with a life preserver.  He wanted to go snorkeling, too.  He wouldn't put the mask around his head, but he would look through it into the water.  He got to see some sea turtles and a lot of tropical fish.  He loved it!  Anyway, after we snorkeled for a while, we got back onto the boat.  It was time to eat ... meanwhile, I had gotten something in my left eye.  It think it was my mask defogger drops ... and my eye was bothering me a lot.  As I sat there for a minute or two, I started to feel nauseous.  I went with Khloe out to the front of the boat into the sunshine, and I started to feel better.  Soon, they started to sail the boat ... and it rocked back and forth ... I felt more and more nauseous!  I just wanted them to drive the boat.  I didn't eat much ... a few veggies and a bite or two of macaroni salad.  After what seemed like forever, they started the boat up again to take us back to the marina.  It's a shame, too, because it was so gorgeous!  The ocean is an incredible color in the Caribbean.  The snorkeling was good, and it was a fun trip ... just wish I hadn't felt a little sick.
Iguanas ... they were all around the island!

Colton loved them!

View from the boat ... isn't the water gorgeous!? I love the ocean ... even when I'm nauseous ... I guess I don't have fabulous sea legs.
On the front of the catamaran ... it was a lot of fun!
family shot!
I love this family!
With my baby girl ...
It was windy!
Once we hit dry ground, I was feeling much better.  We were all supposed to go out to eat together that night, but the restaurant wasn't a kid-friendly place.  So, we just made supper at the condo.  It was still fun to hang out.  A few of us played Qwirkle ... a game Billy brought along.
Saturday night with Aunt Debbie ... or Mommy--depending on which kid you are.
Colton is showing Grandpa how to play 'puzzingo' on the iPad.
Photo courtesy of Aunt Debbie--I always wish I could match my kids ... but it's so hard with having a boy and a girl.  So, I bought the cousins matching outfits.  Aren't they cute!?!
On Sunday morning, we got up, and we dropped the kids off with Mom H.  Billy and I got to go scuba diving.  It was really nice!  It's not the best place we've gone diving, but after diving in Sipidan, Borneo ... there aren't many places that will be quite as good.  We did have a lot of fun, though.  We saw a huge eagle ray, and we saw a lot of fish.  We did a wreck dive from 1856 ... they had dumped all of their cargo overboard trying to save the ship (ultimately it sunk), so we got to go through a lot of old stuff that lies at the bottom of the ocean.  We saw a HUGE crab ... I mean HUGE ... it's pincher was nearly the size of my head!  We saw several huge lobsters.  I didn't even know they came that big!  Both dives were pretty fun, and I'm glad we had the chance to go.
Beach time with the family before the wedding.
Being a beach girl ...
I love this picture!  She is so cute!
My boys ...
We tried to get the whole family in here ... just got Khloe's eyes.
Here's everyone ... covering my face and Khloe not looking at the camera ... it's hard to get a family self-photo!
Building sand castles.
There's our condo ... we were in the one to the furthest left.
Palms
gorgeous beach ... gorgeous ocean
Khloe is enjoying the beach time.
So is Mommy ... :)
A unique way to get all four of us in one picture!
classic beach shot
Colton LOVED building sand castles with Daddy!
Sunday afternoon, we prepared for Cherrie and Josh's wedding.  It began at 5:00 p.m., and it was beautiful. It was off on a point on the island overlooking the ocean.  Cherrie looked gorgeous, and she was very happy.  It was a really amazing wedding!  The reception was pool/beach side, and we got Cherrie good ... Brenda, Debbie, and I have all gotten birdseed to the face thanks to Cherrie.  I have a wedding picture of Cherrie dumping birdseed into our rental car ... right into my open mouth, down my dress, in my hair ... everywhere!  We were all ready to avenge ourselves.  We got HUGE cups of birdseed ... and we got her good.  It was all out of love ... and revenge ... but I will say, revenge was sweet!  The reception was very beautiful, too.  Colton and Billy beat the heat by jumping into the pool.  It was a very fun evening.  Cherrie and Josh were very happy, and they both looked wonderful.  Everyone had a great time!

Gorgeous view!!!
My sweet dolly
I love her face!
Cutie
Beautiful palm
Josh with his guys
The kids ... Elle and Colton, come on down!
My handsome man! He's the CUTEST boy ever!!!!
Here comes the bride!
Isn't she gorgeous!?!  How happy does she look?
Love the back of the hair and dress!
Gerson played the flute for special music.
Married!!!
Joy!
I love the view!
Such a beautiful wedding site.
Photo courtesy of Uncle Gerson--Playing a little on the iPhone after the wedding ... didn't realize his little pants were heading south.  Peek-a-boo undies!
Photo courtesy of Uncle Gerson's camera--The Heinrich extended family.  They all look good; don't they?
Photo courtesy of Uncle Gerson--Sisters ... I'm happy they consider me part of their lovely family.  They are wonderful sisters-in-law.  I am lucky!




The family minus Colton ... I wish he was in this picture.  I like it a lot. :(


At the wedding
The aftermath of the rice revenge!
Reception ... sundown
It was so lovely.
Palm trees at dusk.  I love it!
Pool side ... it was a beautiful pool.  And refreshing, too ... according to Billy and Colton.
Centerpieces
Colton and Adrian ... and possibly Winston in there somewhere ... dancing with Cherrie and Miriam.
Colton dancing with Mom.
On Monday morning, we headed to Coki Beach (Khloe's beach--because one of our nicknames for her is Koki--thanks to Mei Mei who used to call her that).  It was gorgeous!  There was great snorkeling there, too.  We saw a lot of beautiful (and tame) fish.  We could feed them with a dog biscuit.  I was snorkeling and feeding some fish when a bigger fish came up and bit my finger!  I dropped the dog biscuit.  It scared me a little bit--I guess you're supposed to pull your hand away when the bigger fish come.  I didn't realize that!  The snorkeling was still really good, and we had a great time in the water.  Khloe and Colton enjoyed the water, too. Colton especially loved feeding the fish.  He talked about that for days afterwards.
Isn't this the most beautiful!?!
Having fun!
great snorkeling, too!
Perfect end to a fun weekend!

We flew out back to Tampa on Monday afternoon.  By Monday night, I was exhausted ... the kids were, too.  We were all happy to be back in our own beds.  Tuesday morning, the kids slept in until 9:45 a.m., and I still had to wake them up!  We had a long weekend, but it was a good one!  On Tuesday, I noticed that I came home with several bug bites.  At the reception, there must have been a ton of "no see ums" ... because I have 53 bites that I can count (17 on my left leg, 16 on the right, 17 on my arms, and 3 on my left foot)! ITCHY!!!!  


Anyway, we loved St. Thomas ... we hope to go to St. Johns sometime or St. Croix ... or several other places in the Caribbean.  We're very happy for Cherrie and Josh ... congratulations to you both!

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you had a wonderful time! I love listening to your stories and seeing all your photos!

    ReplyDelete