Saturday, September 29, 2012

a drag


Well, on Tuesday, I thought I was starting to feel sick.  I had an itchy/dry/scratchy throat, and I felt a little snotty ... and I kept sneezing like there was no tomorrow!  Koki sneezed a lot on Tuesday, too.  So, I bought some throat lozenges and stocked up on children and infant Motrin and acetaminophen (since I was all out at home).

On Wednesday, Colton started with these goobies in his eyes.  Sometimes when he gets too snotty and all stuffed up, boogies come out of his tear ducts.  I kept wiping them out (which he thoroughly dislikes).  He had a slight runny nose, but nothing too terrible.  Koki started in with the runny nose again!  I really dislike her getting those.  I feel like I wipe that nose a million times a day for over a week each time she gets one.  Ugh!  But by Wednesday afternoon, I was feelin a million times better.  I didn't feel like my nose was runny or stuffed or full of snot anymore.  My throat was much better.  I wasn't sneezing much at all.  I thought to myself: "Maybe this will all be over in a flash!"

By Thursday, Colton's goobies in his eyes kept coming and coming.  I felt like I was wiping them a million times that day.  He didn't seem to have pink or redness in his eyes, so I was pretty sure it was just an overabundance of snot in his nasal cavities that were coming out through his tear ducts ... or maybe clogged tear ducts.  Thursday night, I noticed Koki had a little bit, too.

Through this all, Koki was having a hard time going down for naps or bed.  She would cry an insane amount of time before finally falling asleep (which is not like her at all).  I even had to rock her to sleep on Thursday night and for a nap on Thursday (which I haven't done since she was ... maybe ... 4 months old).  Still, I figured it was all of the snot and such.  Meanwhile, Colton kept waking from naps and bed with his eyes glued shut. So, obviously ... there was a lot of goobies going on there.

On Friday, we did a MOMs Club event and had lunch with them.  At lunch, I rubbed more goop out of Khloe's eye.  Then I thought it looked a little red, so to make sure I wasn't spreading germs ... I called our pediatrician.  She had an opening right away.  I'm not sure you would call it that, though.  I waited to see her for an hour and 15 minutes.  So, even though my appointment time was right away ... my actual doctor time was much, much longer.  Anyway, we saw her, and sure enough, she felt like both kids had conjunctivitis in BOTH eyes!  Both kids.  Really!?!  How could I miss that? Then she said that since Tuesday (when Koki had her 12 month check up), Khloe had contracted an ear infection in BOTH ears!  Double conjunctivitis and double ear infection!?!  No wonder we had been having such a hard time falling asleep!  Poor baby girl.  Colton's ears looked good and normal, so we just had to get drops for his eyes.  So, since Friday afternoon, both kids have been fighting me as I put a drop in each eye ... three times per day.  And Sissy has been having amoxicillin twice a day for her ears.

Both kids seem much better today.  Khloe took a good, long nap this morning, and I'm sure she will sleep well this afternoon, too.

Ah ... cold and flu season ... it has begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment