Monday, November 19, 2012

first 13.1 done



I finally did it!  I finished my first half marathon.  On Sunday morning, I ran the Lady Speed Stick Half Marathon.  I have been training for it for the past twelve weeks.  My training went "okay".  I never felt really, super ready.  I followed a training plan, but I always felt defeated after my long runs.  I never ran as much as I really wanted to, and I just didn't feel like my heart was in it.  I kept pushing none-the-less, and this past Sunday, I woke up at 4:30 to compete in my first half marathon race.

I was nervous, to say the least.  I think I did pretty well for my first half.  I definitely did better than I thought I was going to ... but I didn't do as well as I know I could do.  It was fun, though.  It was fun being there with my friends and running with a bunch of women.  That morning, I hurt pretty badly, and I was achy.  My legs felt like dead weight, but this morning, I feel pretty good.  My legs aren't sore, and my feet don't hurt anymore.  All in all, I am happy about my results.

My good, dear friend, Gina, ran it with me.  She is a runner.  She has completed so many marathons, I can't remember the actual number she has done.  I do know she has qualified for and completed the Boston Marathon.  She has done a ton of half marathons, too.  I knew she would be the best person for me to run with for my first time.  Plus, she is 27 weeks pregnant, so she needed to take it easy on this run ... especially since she ran another half marathon just over a week ago!  She is nuts! (I guess this one was her last until after the baby arrives.)  I am so thankful she ran it with me.  She has so much running knowledge, and she knows me so well (we've known each other since elementary school).  She was a great help to me!  She kept pushing me, but never made me feel badly or like I was holding her back.  She was a great encouragement for me as a first time marathoner.

Throughout the entire race, I decided I probably wouldn't do this again.  My IT band in my right leg was cramping and my ankles hurt (which had never happened to me before) ... I was getting blisters on my left toes ... my legs felt so heavy ... yet, I kept pushing and I finished strong.  Directly after the race, I kept thinking about what I would do different, and I almost wanted to do that one again just to change some of the things I wasn't too proud of.  So ... a day has past, and I keep thinking about those things I want to improve and a new goal that I want to achieve.  I'm pretty sure I never wanted to do this again ... but maybe I just want to go out on a better note.  I want to improve my time just a little bit ... and I want my head in my training a little bit more.  I have a little time to think about it, but I think I want to run the Disney Princess Half Marathon in February.  I don't know if I will do it ... I don't know if I want to pay the money to do it.  But I am, at least, thinking about it ... and that is saying a lot!
Getting ready to run ... we were there an hour and a half early!
Me and Gwendy at the starting line ... almost ready to start.
Crystal and Gina at the starting line.
Me and G ready to run together.
All done!  13.1 miles finished!
Me and Gwendy
Me with my lifelong friend, G!  Couldn't have done it without her! 
The medal.
kind of funky!
The pendant.
Engraved is the state of florida with a lady runner running through it.
The back ... it says Lady Speed Stick Women's Half Marathon, St. Petersburg, FL 2012
At the finish line ... ready to get something to eat!
I can't say that I'm going to be an avid racer, but I do like to run fun races.  I'm definitely more of a 5K fun-run racer, but I did enjoy this half marathon ... and I know I will enjoy another fun half, like the Disney Princess.  I guess time will tell if I do another one!

No comments:

Post a Comment