Tuesday, November 13, 2012

projects galore


So, I wrote yesterday that today I was going to blog about my projects that I have been working on recently.  I'm pretty excited, because as I sit here typing about my projects, I am watching KU play basketball against Michigan State.  I love college basketball season!  I'm not sure how our team will fare this year ... we don't have the "dream team" of years past, but you never know.  I do know that I am missing Thomas Robinson. But still ... I am happy to have KU on the TV as I write this ... it makes for a better evening overall.

My biggest project of late has been painting half of our house.  I painted the small hallway into the guest room, the dining room, and the living room ... I, also, tore down all of the wall paper in the entry way, and I cleaned the walls and painted them.  It has been a big project that took me about 2 months to complete ... not that I worked on it every day or every week, but I started it in mid-September, and I just finished it last Friday.  Phew!  I do not want to paint for a long time ... at least until after Christmas!  Here are some before and after pictures of our rooms and the painting that was completed.

BEFORE ... Wall Paper & Gold Paint
AFTER ... New Paint & No Wall Paper!


Today, I finished a project I started yesterday--I suppose technically, I started it last spring when I power washed and tore a part a palate that we bought for $5 that had sod on it when we needed to replace some grass in our front yard.  I could have returned it for $5.  But I told Billy that I had an idea, and I wanted to keep it, instead.  For over six months and to Billy's chagrin, I have had pieces of wood sitting in our garage.  Yesterday, I pieced them all together, and I began the painting process.  Today I finished the painting part.  For the most part, it is complete, I just need to attach the hangers, so I can mount it on our living room wall.  I am very pleased with how it turned out.  And it cost me less than $10 for this piece of art.  It's about 4 feet wide and 2 feet tall (give or take).  I love it!  I am very happy with it!  I can't wait to see it on the wall.
Put together ... I took a part the original palate.  And I used the circular saw for the first time in my life to cut the three 2x4s on the back down to size.  I was pretty impressed with how much fun it was to use the circular saw!  Then I nailed it together.
I added a rough/vintage/old coat of paint in "Baked Brie" Behr test paint.
I finished by cutting our name out of paper that I drew letters on.  I taped it to the boards, and I rolled paint over the top ... I can't remember the color, but it's a dark gray color by Behr in their test size.  Then I removed the stencils and voila! I can't wait to hang it!


I, also, refurbished a frame I already own, and I put Cole's picture into it.  It's in our guest room.  I didn't take any pictures yet, so I'll get that up in another blog.  I've been pretty busy, I guess!

Next up ... I have a baby blanket to make ... and two (of my own kids') more to finish.  I, also, need to get Khloe's "map table" chair completed.  She keeps trying to climb up into Colton's chair.  He gets annoyed by that ... so I just need to finish hers.  I just have to detail her name on it.  I have other projects, as well.  But those are top on my priority list.


Today, we went to the zoo for MOMs Club.  It ended up being just Gwendy and me.  We had a lot of fun, and the kids really enjoyed seeing all of the animals and riding the train and feeding the goats.  Colton said his favorite part was seeing the giraffes.  I think he really liked riding the train, too!
I was in a hurry when I left the house this morning.  I usually grab Khloe's shoes, but I don't necessarily put them on her until we get where we are going.  She is infamous for taking her shoes off in the car ... maybe she's a hippy at heart!  Anyway, I didn't want her not to have shoes all day, because we were going to be gone for a while.  She wouldn't be able to get down to walk at all.  So, I stopped at Target, and I found these cute shoes!  I love them!  They remind me of Korea.  I think they are my favorite pair she owns!
Khloe and Colton watching the rhinos.
It was Koki's first time on the carousel.  She wasn't too sure about it.  She didn't exactly cry, but she wasn't exactly excited, either!  I don't think it helped that Cole cried the whole time.  Then when it stopped and he got down, he said, "That was fun!  Let's do it again!"  Really!?!
Don't let Cole's "Cheese" face fool you ... he didn't like it at all.  (As per usual.) Yet, he wanted to ride it again!
On a ride more his speed ... the train.  He was munching a cracker when I took this picture!
Riding the train with Koki.
Cole loves to feed the goats!
Petting the goats.
Cole's new pal.
With his buddy, Mason.


Tonight, my neighbor lady (Judy) called me and asked me if I could sub for a player in her monthly Bunco game.  I had never played Bunco before, but I thought "why not"?  So, I went.  It was pretty fun.  For a once a month thing, I could do this more often.  Plus, I could stand to make some money.  I lost $8 tonight, but it was enjoyable.  It's a room full of older ladies, but it was nice to get out and play games.  I love to play games!  Bunco doesn't take much thinking or skill.  It's all about luck!  We'll see how lucky I am next month.  The ladies asked me if I would like to come again.  Why not!?!  So, I'm now a part of a Bunco group.  How old does that make me?

No comments:

Post a Comment