Wednesday, January 30, 2013

a SUPER compliment


I just had to blog today about something someone said to me that really meant a lot.  It was a SUPER compliment ... it really made my day.

First of all, it was from a stranger which, for me, sometimes makes me feel even better, because I know they aren't "just saying it" because they are related me to (like all of the kind things my Mom always tells me) ... or they aren't "just saying it" because they are my friends and they want to be nice. They don't have to say anything to me, and I would never be the wiser.  

But today, I was out to lunch with one of my bests, Gwendy, at Red Robin.  I took Colton to the bathroom before we left.  We went in and did our thing, but I suppose (like usual), we were chatting it up a bit.  He mentioned that there were colors all over the wall.  (The tiles are all colored.)  He started to tell me which colors he saw ... "Brown, blue, yellow ..."  I said, "That one isn't brown.  It looks like it, but it's actually Maroon."  And I pointed to another one and said, "This one is tan."  He repeated me.  Then I said, "Look there's a different blue." He said, "Yeah, it's Dark Blue.  And this one is Light Blue!"  As he pointed to another tile.  I said, "Very good, Colton!"  Then he asked me if I wanted toilet paper from the top roll or the bottom roll.  Anyway, the conversation is usually like that in the bathroom.  We can't go anywhere and just be quiet ... which is fine.  Then we stepped out of the stall, and I asked him to come over to wash his hands.  While we were washing, a lady comes out of the other stall, and says to me, "Are you a teacher?"  I said, "Yes, I am."  She said, "I can tell.  What grade do you teach?"  I told her that I hadn't been working in the school system since my son was born, but I had taught 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th & 8th, and high school history.  She said, "What did you like best?"  I told her I preferred middle school ... 5-8th grades.  She said that she currently teaches 5th grade math and science.  But it's what she said next that really made me feel good.  She said, "I could tell you were a teacher by the way you were talking to your son.  You speak to him and explain to him and expect him to understand ... and he does! You obviously expect a lot of out him, and his vocabulary and speaking skills are excellent!  He really carries on a conversation with you."  I said, "Thank you."  She said, "Keep it up!  I just knew you had to be a teacher!"  

I really felt good about that.  Partially, because I like that a teacher can recognize one of her/his own, and partially, because I love that Colton is such a good boy and is growing and learning so well.  It really makes being a Mom so fun for me!  He's pretty special, and it warms my heart to see others think that about him, as well.  
Colton with his "Sunshine" cookie (he called it that).  He got to eat half of it for a special treat, and he saved the other half for later.
Colton asked the balloon guy for "A BIG, TALL GIRAFFE!"
And a butterfly for baby sissy.  She was actually thrilled with it, but she didn't want to stop playing with it to take a picture for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment