Friday, October 28, 2011

first cold ... check ... sleepless nights ... check ... sleepless days ... check ...

I'm ready for my big girl to get a bit bigger. Terrible, I know! I should be savoring every itty-bitty baby moment, but some of them are too tiring to savor and too exhausting to ever want to experience again. Colton woke up on Monday morning with a runny nose. I really should have been more careful with letting him be around Khloe ... but kids are going to get colds--and it's good for them to build up those antibodies. I just wouldn't have minded if the first cold came in the 4 month time frame, instead of the first month! I let him give her kisses and hold her.

Soon enough, by Wednesday, in fact ... she had a cold, too. (And so did I!) On Tuesday night, Khloe had a bad night of sleep ... it was pretty fitful and non-relaxing. She woke up several times just to crank--not even for food. Then she woke up earlier than usual that morning to a day filled with crying and cranking and ZIP for sleeping! It was a rough day for me, as I was up with her all night, so I needed a nap. She just didn't want to nap--no, she wanted to nap, but she kept waking herself up with coughs and the inability to breathe. That night, I gave her a bath, and put her down to bed a wee bit early. She slept wonderfully! It was a regular sleep night with two wakes for feedings at her usual time. Then on Thursday, she slept like a champ for all of her naps. She gave me the much needed boost of confidence that was so quickly snapped away the day before and the much needed rest my body was craving.
I think I see a smile in there during her bath!


On Thursday night, she had another fitful night ... but she seemed bothered by something. Her legs kicked like crazy, and when she woke in the night ... she actually woke up--which she usually doesn't do. She just wakes enough to let me know she's hungry and is out like a light mid-feed. But last night, she woke up and had "perky" eyes at the end of each feed. I had to console her back to sleep and then listen to her fitful rest ... which as I laid there realized that she hadn't pooped in over 24 hours. I thought for sure she must feel backed-up or gassy or both! So, she woke several extra times last night, and when we got up, I let her lay in her gym to work it out. She tooted several times but no poops! However, she slept SO WELL today. She took all of her naps and was a perfect angel. By the evening, she had pooped once ... which I'm happy for. And she's now sleeping away--ready for a great night, I hope! (crossing my fingers!)

Her eating has gone caput, though. Since she's gotten sick, I have had a hard time getting her to even eat 3 oz. at bottle feeds and 20 minutes on breast feeds. I found that she ate 1 to 2 oz. during her "sick" day, and 2 to 3 oz. since. Today, she has been eating 3 oz. on bottle feeds and 30-40 minutes on breast feeds ... which could mean up to 4 oz. (When I pump, I'm getting 3 to 4 oz. per pump.) I struggle with this, because Colton was a SUPER eater ... even when he was sick. He drank whatever I stuck in his mouth and never looked back. She likes to take her time and spit out the bottle or the breast--which is very annoying. I pretty much dislike the dreamfeed ... which I feel is important, because I can "tank" her up while she sleeps, and therefore, get a full 3 hours or more of sleep when I go to bed. In actuality, these past few days, she has only taken 1 to 2 oz. during her dreamfeed, and it's murder trying to get her to do that! I read that I should be persistent, and keep up the dream feeds--she'll get the hang of it. So, I keep it up. I think it's still related to her being sick ... it's hard to breathe, sleep, and drink when your nose is stuffy (I'm convinced she had a sore throat, too.). Anyway, keep her and me (mostly me) in your prayers, as I figure out this feeding thing. I have been breastfeeding her solely throughout the day ... and aside from her cranking and pulling off (probably due to slow-flow), she does pretty well. I know she's eating, because she has wet (and usually poopy) diapers. Plus, she can go the 3 hours necessary between feeds just fine. However, I am getting sick of her crying, crying, and yanking off during each feed. I'm ready to go to bottles! I am trying to make it to Thanksgiving and reevaluate then, if necessary. I bottle feed her at night, so I can get back to bed ... and monitor what she's eating a little bit. Plus, it gets her used to bottles, so I don't have to be the only person that can feed her. I never thought I'd be anxious and worried while surrounded in milk supply bottles filling the fridge. When I breastfed Colton, I would have given anything for my supply! I never, ever had enough for that kid! I guess I got used to that kind of an eater ... the grass is always greener on the other side of the problem!

This weekend, we will prepare for Halloween. Colton has such a cute outfit! I can't wait to post a picture of it. We'll carve pumpkins, and maybe do some baking. I will, also, work on Khloe's room ... as far as decor and pictures. I am nearly done with her artwork that will go above her crib. I just need to find some picture frames.

Tonight is the last night Khloe will sleep in our room ... unless we have guests who need her room, or it goes terribly wrong for some reason. She has slept very well in her pack'n'play bassinet. She makes much less noise than Colton did while sleeping at that age, but it's time for her to be independent in her own room ... and for our sleep to be sound. It's sad, but also, very welcomed. It's not nearly as sad as when we put Colton in his crib for the first time. I guess that's how it will be for the second one ... not nearly as sad or exciting for most milestones. Poor Khloe! It's a different kind of excitement ... she's growing, moving into her own room, and I know that means better sleep ... better schedule ... growing up and getting a bit easier. It's sad, but it's necessary and much needed. I just hope it's quiet enough in her room with it being right off the family room and next to Colton's room for her to sleep at night and for naps. I guess time will tell.

My favorite month is coming to an end in three days! I can't believe it's almost November!!! Billy's parents are coming for a visit the weekend before Thanksgiving to meet Khloe, and of course, to spend time with Colton. Then we are hosting Thanksgiving at our house, and Billy's sister and cousins are coming down from Orlando to spend it here at our house. It will be a busy month, but hopefully, I'll get that routine down to a "T" before it all starts. I am praying that the Lord will bless ... and give me strength and a positive outlook as her 6-week growth spurt is coming ... any day now ... or is here ... who knows if that's what her deal was last night! Just have to remember, small part of her big life ... small part of her big life ... I am trying to keep that running through my head when I'm tired.

Here's how she's growing! Already plays in her gym and bouncy chair. Such a big girl.
I tried to flip those pictures the right way, but they aren't uploading right ... so just turn your head!


A few pictures of Colton while we went for one of our walks this week. He loves to push this toy--thank you, Mellie! He can't get enough of pushing it around the neighborhood.

Happy Sabbath!

No comments:

Post a Comment