Saturday, October 29, 2011

Community Halloween Party

Tonight, Billy left me all alone with two kids to put to bed. He went to a hockey game with our friend, Brian Adams, and other CEOs/CFOs from the hospital system. I didn't know what I was going to do for the 2 1/2 hours before bedtime with both kids ... since evenings are Khloe's hardest time of the day. But then Gwendy texted me and invited me to our community/neighborhood's Halloween party. I decided that would make a great evening activity.

Since it was just me, I decided Khloe wouldn't get her outfit on ... instead, I swaddled her in the Moby wrap, and she slept through the party (her evening catnap--check!). Colton was excited to go to a party, so he got on his UPS Truck Driver costume ... he even wore the hat all night, because that meant he drove a truck! Colton danced to the music--they brought in a DJ. He ate popcorn, chips, and a little bit of cake. There were so many kids in costumes ... he seemed consumed with watching them all ... and then running circles around the couch in the room. His friend, Mason, was so cute, too! All dressed up as an adorable little golfer.
Isn't he the cutest driver!?! On Monday, Halloween, Khloe will be a package that he is delivering. I thought it was a fun idea!
Mason and Colton ... the golfer and the UPS driver.
The boys enjoying the good snacks at the party.


When I got home, I had to get the kids to bed ... all by myself. It's really great having Billy here. He takes care of Colton and gets him ready for bed, while I feed Khloe and get her into bed just in time to go say goodnight with Colton and say our prayers. Tonight, I had to figure out how to put both kids to bed at the same time. So, I put Khloe in the swing, and I got Colton into his jammies. Then I let Colton play with his trucks while I fed Khloe and started to rock her to sleep. Then I left the room while Colton played trucks, and I eased Khloe into a semi-sleep and laid her down in her crib. I, then, cleaned up the toys with Colton, read him two books, brushed his teeth, said our prayers, and put him down in his bed to sleep. He didn't even fight me once or cry at all! Then I went back to see Khloe. She was a little fussy (I did rush her winding down time), so I picked her back up ... shhhhed her until her eyes got droopy, laid her in the crib, and shhhhed for a few minutes until her body relaxed and she settled. Then I went out to clean the kitchen and pump. Through all of that, I heard no crying! So, I went to check on her, and she was sound asleep! I got them both into bed in less than 45 minutes from start of bedtime routine to both kids sleeping beautifully. I have to say that I feel pretty good about that. Two kids are definitely more difficult than one, but today, I feel like I defeated something ... even if just my own perception that I would never be able to take care of both of them without a huge mess on my hands. Now, I'm relaxing, interneting, and taking in the quietness of the house. Billy will be home soon, and I'm excited for that! I'll be happy to tell him of my success.

Today, we went to church, and Khloe looked so cute in her dress that Grandma Bourland got her. It was our first time back to church since Khloe was born. Because of the c-section, we couldn't go that first week. Then we were in KC the second week, but our luggage was left in Tampa. So, we had nothing to wear. The next few weeks, we were in recovery/getting our newborn settled into a routine. This week, we decided it's time to go back. Colton missed Sabbath School, and he had a great time today. Khloe was there for half of Sabbath School, before I had to head to the Mother's room for a feeding. I wanted to get a picture of them both together, but by the time we got home, they were both in terrible moods! So, next week, I'll have to get one before church. I, also, found out that Colton's blue church pants are now high-waters. He is growing so quickly. He won't wear those again. I am sad about how fast he's growing up!
Ready for church. Isn't she so cute?


Speaking of growing up, we measured Khloe today. She's 23 inches long! She's grown an inch and a half in 5 weeks. And as of Billy's weighing her, she's 10 lbs. 8 oz. So, she's growing, growing, growing!
Khloe on the measuring/tummy time pad. Getting some "play" on in the Eat. Play. Sleep. scenario of our lives.


Ready to go relax ... kids asleep, husband out watching hockey ... Mommy time!

No comments:

Post a Comment