Tuesday, September 20, 2011

just what I didn't want ... false alarm!

I guess it's better to be safe than sorry, but I did not want to drive all of the way to Orlando for nothing ... and that's just what we did this morning. We left at about 4:20 a.m., and we got to the hospital quickly by 5:45 a.m. I was not dilated ... nor has my uterus dropped yet. But my cervix was very soft ... about the only good news. I guess I was having contractions, but wasn't ready to actually start having the baby. The issue is that I can't wait around too long here in Tampa to figure that out ... I have to drive up to Orlando before I get too far into labor. Which makes it easier for me to be tricked by false labor. Booooo! My nurse told me that one way to help narrow down the reality of the contractions is to lay down in a relaxed position with my feet up. If my contractions continue on a timed schedule with severity then I am more likely to be in actual labor. She said that false labor contractions tend to seem more severe and happen more often when you're walking around or sitting ... they tend to dissipate when you relax or lay down. I will definitely try that next time.

I have had contractions all day ... but they are sporadic--so I know they are just pre-labor contractions. I plan to bounce on the yoga ball tonight ... and possibly drink some castor oil, but I need some pop to drink it with. I'll have to run to the store if I do that. Just waiting and waiting and hoping for no more false labor!

1 comment:

  1. and they wouldn't induce you?! or you didn't want to be induced maybe... i would have let heads roll if they told me to go home after 40 weeks. (this from the mom whos stubborn daughter did not budge until her scheduled c section date of 40weeks +3 days. i was waiting to go into labor with hopes of a vbac. not so much. and they told me on the table that she was still "floating", not engaged at all. hudson was 10 days early!). so sorry mother. prayers and hugs.

    ReplyDelete