Tuesday, July 17, 2012

infiltration of bugs


From the title, you may think we have an invasion of ants or roaches or some horrid Florida bug that you get in your flour ... but no.  We have two sick kiddos over here.  


On Monday, I woke up to find Kokobean has a runny nose, congestion, and boy was she sneezy (in the morning, at least).  She has been a dripping faucet for two days.  It affects her sleeping, because she can't breathe very well.  I do the necessary maintenance that one can do for a runny nose and congestion--humidifier ... baby chest rub ointment ... aspirator ... and kleenex, kleenex, kleenex!  She just has a hard time sleeping at night and for naps, because it's so hard to breathe.  I'm hoping it doesn't last for very long.


I thought I had only one sick kiddo ... until this morning.  I went to get Colton up, and he seemed pretty out of sorts.  It's not unusual for this kid to tell me, "Mommy, go wake up Khloe first."  So, I did.  Once I had her up, I went to get Cole--who is usually up and jumping around in his crib by now.  Only today, he was still laying down.  I picked him up and got him undressed.  He just kept moping and whining.  He seemed so uncomfortable and uneasy.  He went potty, and when he came back, he just wanted to sit in my lap with is blanket.  I let him for a little bit.  I figured he was just still sleepy.  I told him I had to get Khloe her breakfast.  I left him, and I went to put Koki in her chair.  I could hear him coughing, but it didn't sound strange.  I got her a bottle and started warming up his breakfast (he had requested oatmeal).  He came out whining about something and coughing.  That's when I saw vomit on his shirt.  I went to him, and he threw up again.  I took off his shirt, and I grabbed a paper towel.  When he threw up again!  I asked him if he felt better or like he was going to throw up again ... he said that he felt better.  I took off his shorts, and I cleaned up him and the floor.  While I was cleaning up the floor, he said he had to go potty again.  I thought maybe he needed to go poop (sorry for the TMI), but he didn't have to do either.  I think his tummy still hurt.  He acted fine, though.  He went and started to play with his toys.  I had taken his temperature (twice), and it was normal.  


Not too long later (maybe 5 minutes), he came into the kitchen and asked for a drink of water.  I gave him one.  He drank it, looked at me, and promptly threw up everything that he just drank.  After that, he wanted milk.  I didn't know what to do!  I cleaned him and the floor up.  I waited about five minutes.  No more vomit ... so I gave him another small glass of water.  He held it in with no throwing up.  So, I gave him a small glass of milk.  No issues.  He ended up eating a small bowl of applesauce for breakfast.  He played all morning.  He never complained of feeling sick ... but he did want to lay around a little more than usual.  By lunch, he wanted to eat the bowl of oatmeal I had made him for breakfast.  I let him.  He cleaned it up!  He wanted another bowl of oatmeal.  So, I made him one! He downed that, too.  Then he ate a bowl of fruit and several crackers along with a box of raisins.  He was pretty hungry!  


He seemed normal most of the rest of the day.  He took a decent nap, but that's usual for him.  Right now, he's terrorizing Khloe.  She so wants to keep up with him, but obviously, she has to get even more mobile.  I guess all is well.  I will just keep a closer eye on him for the next 24 hours.  
Colton after his morning sickness ... he seemed to be feeling better.
Now, let's talk Kokobean.  She is nuts!  That girl is pulling up on everything, and it is taking a while for her to understand 'no'!  I am about to pull my hair out!  That girl keeps pulling up on to the TV stand.  It's right at her level, perfect for pulling up, and has a bunch of lights.  I can move her, tell her 'don't touch', and smack her hand a billion times.  She will fake cry for 5 seconds and turn her body to head right back to where she got in trouble.  It's maddening!!!  She will instantly go from crying to smiling, as she pulls back up onto the TV stand.  Ah! Once she is walking, I know that she will have a million other things to occupy her (good and bad), but since she is at this exact stage ... and that stand is at her exact level ... it is her fixation.  
Pulling up on everything ... even bothering brother a little bit! (Even though, he's sitting in her chair.)

Also, this girl will crawl (regular crawl) a few inches and then immediately drop down to her tummy to slither along.  The only reason I want her to crawl regularly is this ... it's ruining her clothing!  Her shirts and outfits get all dirty from dragging across our floor or wherever she's slithering around.  If she would just crawl like a normal crawler or walk or something, her clothes would stop getting ruined. I see her crawl for a few seconds ... and I think, 'yay! she's doing it!' Then ... no dice!  She drops down and slithers away!  
My 'Godzilla Girl' plowing her way through toys.
Phew!  I really took it out on this blog today!  I guess I had a lot to vent about. It has been raining all day, and we have been cooped up in the house.  Maybe I just needed to get it all out.  I'm feeling much better.
Here is what kept us from going to the water park today.  Ugh, rain!
One adorable thing Colton did today was in the car on our one short outing ... in the pouring rain (and yes, we all got soaked).  We were driving to the store, and Cole wanted to watch a video.  I said that the store was too close to our house, and we didn't need to watch a movie.  I wanted to listen to some music instead.  He didn't want to, but he decided to sing along with the radio.  At first, I wasn't sure what was going on.  I asked him what he was doing.  He said, "I'm singing with the radio!" Ah.  So, here it is ... on video.


Yesterday, before our big morning rain hit, Cole and I went for a walk.  We ran around the neighborhood.  He tried to touch every branch that was hanging down from the trees.  We had fun!  We were racing the rain.  We knew it was coming ... we saw the clouds.  Cole likes to point them out ... "Those are the storm clouds, Mommy.  It's going to rain." 
Out with Mommy on our walk.
"Mommy, are those the storm clouds?"
Colton running ahead trying to get home before the rain hits!
When we got back home from the walk, it still wasn't raining, so I quickly got out the bat and balls.  Colton likes to play baseball.  He says, "I'm good at baseball, Mommy!"  I took pictures, because I thought it was too cute. :)

Got a little baseball in before 'the rain came down with a pitter, pitter, pat.'
Today, Kokobean was having fun using her newest skills.  She learned to clap a few weeks ago (as I posted), but I just got it on video this afternoon.  I will leave you with her clapping skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment