Monday, July 2, 2012

it's here!!!!

It's finally here!  We got our Macbook Pro with retina display this past week.  I am so excited!  I have been waiting for over nine months for this moment.  We are pretty happy with it so far.  I am so excited that it is so much easier to write blogs and to edit pictures.  It makes me pretty thrilled to say the least. 
Our new Macbook Pro! 
I'm so happy to have a computer again!
Doesn't it look nice?  I like it.
Hurricane Debby kept us in most of last weekend.  It was rainy, rainy, rainy!  It didn't slowly rain or sprinkle.  All day Sunday, it POURED!!!!!  It rained all day Saturday, too.  We did get a few power outages ... but all in all, we faired pretty well here.  Just felt cooped up with all of the rain.
Colton spent a lot of the rainy days playing with his train set.  He loves to play trains!

On Sabbath, we went to church.  We were so happy to get out of the house.  We didn't really have terrible weather here ... just a lot of rain.  It stopped long enough for us to go to church, but it was SUPER humid and pretty cloudy.  At Sabbath School, Colton found a little horsey to ride around.  
Riding the horsey.
We went to dinner at P.F. Chang's.  Colton mastered using children's chopsticks!  He had a great time, and he really did a great job!
Khloe was exhausted.  This is the first time she's ever fallen asleep away from her bed ... and not in her car seat ... since she was teeny tiny!  It was pretty cute.
On our Sabbath evening walk, we saw this naughty armadillo.  Colton liked to see it run.  He chased it!
Despite the day of rain ... we got in a little Sabbath evening walk while there was a small break.
Khloe on our walk.  She was happy to be outside, too.
We had a thrilling week this past week.  It started out with a scary and strange event.  This past week, our friends were out of town for a business trip.  We fed their fish for them while they were away.  Colton was pretty excited!  
Colton enjoying Mason's fish.

On Tuesday, I put Khloe down to crawl around while I fed the fish, and Colton played with the train set they have in their toy room.  While Khloe was crawling around, she must've found something on the floor to eat--as she is always putting something in her mouth.  Anyway, I heard her gagging and coughing and choking.  I ran to her, and she was definitely choking on something.  I picked her up, and I swiped her mouth ... nothing.  I tried again ... nothing.  She never stopped gagging/choking/crying.  I finally decided to call 911.  While I was on the phone with the dispatcher, she started crying more than choking, and eventually, she stopped making the choking sound all together.  The dispatcher asked me if she was passed out ... I thought to myself, "Lady, do you hear her crying!?!"  She was laying on my lap and the phone was inches from her head.   I said, "No, she's awake and crying."  I told her that I thought she had swallowed whatever she had been choking on, but she told me the paramedics had to come to check her out.  She can't tell me if she's still hurting or okay, so they needed to do an assessment.  Not more than a couple of minutes later, the firemen and paramedics showed up to the house (again ... not my house). They were really sweet.  She checked out okay.  Her airway sounded good.  I was really calm through the whole thing.  I remember thinking out my plan, and exactly when I decided to call 911 ... I wasn't going to wait to see if she swallowed it or coughed it up or turned blue.  I gave her a little bit to try to get it out on her own.  I tried to swipe it out.  Then ... I called 911.  I'm not one to wait for my child to pass out or turn blue from lack of oxygen.  

When I called Billy to tell him what happened--that's when I cried.  I guess I had my "Mom Cape" on when all of it went down, but after the dust settled ... and I knew she was fine ... I really was able to release my fear that something much worse could have happened.  I think I scared Billy more than Khloe or I were scared during the episode.  I guess you don't want to get a call where your wife is in tears!  I think the sound of his voice broke my bravery. 

The funniest part of the whole thing was Colton.  He had no idea what was really going on.  He heard Khloe choking, and he asked me what was wrong and what I was doing.  But he didn't really understand that she was hurt.  When I was holding her while she cried/choked and was on the phone with 911, Colton was walking around the house with a toy TV remote up to his ear mimicking what I was saying ... he was pacing the kitchen saying, "Uh, huh ... yeah ... 321-527-61**... yes, yes, uh-huh ... no, she's okay.  Okay, okay ... yes." etc.  When I look back at that situation, it's pretty funny to see him pacing around me acting like he's on the phone and repeating what I'm saying.  

I'm glad she's okay ... but it really woke me up to do a sweep of our own house for small objects or paper that she may eat.  When Colton was little, we only had toys appropriate for his age.  Now, we have toys for an older toddler and for a baby.  If some of Colton's toys are too small ... she will eat them.  I don't want that to happen at our house, so I did a sweep and picked all of those up.  I'm going to let my friends know about what happened at their house, as they have an infant who will be getting mobile soon.  I'm sure they will want to do a sweep around their house for him, as well. You just never know what a baby will get in to.  

After that drama, we had a normal week.  Last weekend was hurricane Debby ... we just got a ton of rain and some high winds (a couple of short lived power outages on Sunday), but not too much else besides being stuck inside for days due to rainy weather.  Monday was our last day of cloudy/rainy weather.  Tuesday was a normal day until that scare.  We went to a story reading time at Barnes & Noble with my MOMs Club.  
Colton reading a book about dinosaurs with his friend, Dace.
Tuesday morning on my way home from working out ... this was a beautiful sunrise!
Khloe, the big girl!  She is pulling up on everything now.  Including Mommy!
Standing on Mommy.
Colton has decided that he likes to help dress himself.  He puts on his own undies and pants.  This is how he fared once this week.  I guess we have to discuss the front vs. the back of the pants!
Backwards pants up close!  Too funny!

I made this dinner once this week.  I had some time during all of the rain to look up recipes.  It was super tasty!  It's summer garden pasta.  Yummy!


On Wednesday and Thursday, we went to the water park.  Colton was thrilled to be there after spending too many days cooped up in the house due to the rain.  It was perfect and sunny!  We had a great time being outside.
A beautiful day to be at the pool!
Khloe tried some new food this week.  We had some ripe avocados laying around, so I decided to give her a taste.  I cut some up into small pieces.  It was fun watching her try to pick up the slippery avocado and get it into her mouth.  She seemed to really like it.  She ate every bit that I gave her.  Here are a few pictures of her experience.
Trying to grab a piece of avocado.
Smashing avocados.
Trying so hard.
Success!
Mmmmmmm ....
Cute avocado face.
Tasty!
Smashing the avocado to bits ... how fun!
Yeah!
Sweet face.
Loving it!
Thursday night, we watched our friends' little boy, Landon.  He is such a doll!  He and Colton played really well together ... they both LOVE cars and trains, so that made it easy for them to find things to do together.  Colton had fun when Landon chased him around our house.  I was happy to see them playing so well together.  I bathed both boys together, because Colton needed a bath anyway.  I just plopped them in there together.  They had a blast! 

The boys hanging out in the bath.

Cutie Landon with his after-bath hair.
Once the boys were bathed, I figured I couldn't leave Sissy out.  She got a bath, too.  Isn't she adorable!?!
On Friday, we went with our MOMs Club to the Florida Aquarium.  It was really a good trip.  Colton loves to be at the aquarium.  He just loves animals, and the shark tank is his favorite!  It was nice to be out of the house with friends.  

He saw this and yelled, "MANTA RAYS!!!!"

He was excited to see these.  He said, "There are a lot of Lionfish! One, two, three ... three Lionfish!" A friend of mine said, "You guys must come here a lot. Colton knows the names of all of the fish!"  I said, "Not really, we just have books, and he loves to read." Smart little bud.
He wanted to get inside the shell for a picture. But he didn't want to take one with Khloe.
Our littlest pearl.
He ran right up to the touch and feel tank ... unfortunately, I didn't realize that he had cut the line! He wanted to touch the starfish.  He said, "It's hard like a rock!"
Friday night, we went up to Orlando to spend some time with Brenda, Gerson, and Ethan.  We had a lovely haystack dinner.  Khloe showed her first signs of understanding that she wasn't at home in her room.  She cried and cried when I put her down to sleep.  That is very unlike her.  She is usually so easy to put to bed.  Lay her down and walk away.  But Billy said that when he was trying to rock her (after she had screamed her head off for five minutes), she just kept looking around like "Where am I?"  I hate that, because I hope it isn't a problem for us when we travel at the end of the month.  I really need her to be okay with sleeping in different places.  Hopefully, she will out grow it.  Here's to wishing!  Colton, on the other hand, was wired!  Billy gave him a bunch of gummies on the drive ... and maybe that was it ... maybe it was a fluke, but he would not fall asleep.  He slept with us, and he tossed and turned until nearly midnight!  I was exhausted the next day ... and frankly, so was he.  He wouldn't nap after church either, but he has always had a hard time sleeping at Brenda's.  I think it's because he can hear everyone talking ... and he doesn't want to be away from the action.  Anyway, Sabbath was really nice.  It was so wonderful to be back at Markham Woods church.  We really miss it there!  We got to see Caleb and Elizabeth, too.  They came to Brenda's for lunch, and we all headed to Wekiva Springs to swim in the late afternoon.  Khloe took a great, long nap, so we went when she woke up.  

Ethan is getting to be so big.  He's doing very well.  Still spitting up ... still giving his Mom sleep trials and tribulations ... but he is happy and talkative.  Brenda and Gerson are hoping he will learn to roll over soon, but I keep thinking to myself ... enjoy his inability to move around.  From experience (especially from Khloe), once they roll one way ... who knows when they will learn to roll back!  And that can be exhausting!!!  Khloe about drove me nuts with her rolling onto her tummy and getting stuck.  But I also know how it feels to be a first time parent, and you just want your kids to get to those milestones.  They are very exciting!  Every baby does their thing in their own time ... frustrating! 
Sweet Ethan ... just hanging out.
Today, we had a very relaxing day.  Because Sabbath was so busy, all of us slept in until 9 ... except for Billy.  He went to play basketball at 8:30.  We spent the day enjoying the pool ... doing some yard work ... taking naps ... and running a couple of errands this evening.  We did have one strange event this evening.  We were getting ready to head to the park when I thought I saw Khloe with something in her mouth.  I asked Billy if he would check it out.  She seemed like she was chewing on something.  He put his finger in there, and he said he couldn't find anything.  I was trying to make egg salad in the kitchen.  I saw that she was moving her mouth strangely again.  I asked him to check one more time.  After that check, she started crying.  She crawled across the living room floor, and she cried the whole way.  I went to pick her up.  I took a few steps ... and she threw up--over and over and over again.  Lots of vomit ... all over both of us.  Once she emptied her stomach, she seemed okay.  I just sat on the floor and patted her back.  She calmed down, let me undress her, and gave her a bath.  She talked and talked to me in the bath tub.  She giggled and laughed.  If you had just walked in, you wouldn't know that she had thrown up all over me a few minutes earlier.  She had no temperature.  It was normal both times that I took it.  After her bath, I got her ready for bed, and I fed her again ... since her dinner ended up all over me and the floor.  She drank an entire bottle, and she went down for the night very easily.  It wasn't even 10 minutes, and she was zonked out.  I don't know what happened, but I'll keep my eye on her.  She's had a very eventful week ... and I sure hope next week is much quieter.  

I made a sweet treat for Billy tonight.  He got a strawberry limeade made from fresh strawberries and limes picked from our friend Duska Mewhirter's lime tree.  It was super delish!  He liked it a lot.  Doesn't it look tasty?  It was!

Limes from Duska's tree.  They are tasty!!!!
Fresh strawberries
Billy's delicious strawberry limeade!
We're planning on spending the fourth with friends, and I'm so happy that Billy gets that day off from work.  I think we're going to go to the beach with everyone on Tuesday evening.  We thought it would be a nice way to ring in the 4th, and it would be a relaxing fun time.  

I have a dear friend who got married today ... I'm so sad that I couldn't make it to her wedding.  Lindy (Page) Liepke and Matt Liepke ... Congratulations!!!!  We are so excited for you both, and we wish you a long and happy marriage.  Love to you both!

No comments:

Post a Comment