Tuesday, July 5, 2011

to see Great-Grandma ... and home again, jiggity-jig

On Monday morning of last week, we headed down to Sperry, OK (just north of Tulsa) to see Great-Grandma Lillian, Aunt Patti, and the boys: Henry and Oran. We had a wonderful visit! It was too bad that we couldn't stay more than one night. Next time, we'll have to make it a longer visit. While we were there, we saw the horses, and Colton couldn't help but play with the dogs. He loved them! Bud and Shorty had fun with Cole, too. Grandma made us some delicious meals ... including one really tasty eggplant parmesan dish that I will have to try with Billy.
The front yard of their property. They have 15 horses. Pretty cool for a little boy!
Colton headed out to see the horses.
Pretty horse!

Colton taking a closer look.
Cole with Henry out back playing with Bud.
Colton petting the puppy.
Getting some kisses from Bud.
Colton with Shorty.
Swinging in the swing ... this lasted for a very short period of time.
Kisses for Great-Grandma.
A BIG giggle!
A nice picture of Cole and Great-Grandma.


On Tuesday after lunch, Colton and I began our long drive back to Orlando. The first day, my goal was to get north of Birmingham, AL by 9 p.m. We arrived at the hotel that I had my GPS take me to just after nine, but I realized that I was only staying long enough to sleep, so a cheaper motel would be okay. I thought for sure the next exit would have several options. I guess between Memphis, TN and Birmingham, AL there are NO food stops, NO gas stops, NO lodging ... except that one hotel that I passed up. You have to drive into a small town off of the highway (some 10 or so miles off course) to find a hotel. I was very mad about that, because I wanted to get on the road and get going again the next day. We decided after 45 more minutes of driving that Jasper, AL would be a good place to stop ... only I had to stop at 4 hotels before I found a room available! Because of the tornadoes that swept through Alabama this spring and ruined Tuscaloosa, AL, most of the hotels in the area were booked, either with people who were displaced from the storms or volunteers and workers who were helping out. We found a nice room at the Holiday Inn Express, and she even gave me a little discount. I felt good about that. Colton slept SO WELL that night, and we had a great breakfast at the hotel the next morning. I definitely recommend the Holiday Inn Express hotels. They are very nice.

Wednesday, we began our drive headed to Birmingham and then we would drive through Montgomery. Alabama is the worst state to drive through. They need more interstates headed east ... particularly south-east. We got to Georgia and more importantly I-75 by 3:30 p.m. We stopped to eat lunch. Then we headed home! We arrived in Orlando just after 8 p.m. It was so nice to be home! Both Colton and I slept very well that night. We were so excited to see Billy! It was a long two days, but I am so glad that we had the chance to see everyone that we saw on our vacation. I just wish Billy could have been there with us for the whole trip.

Home again ... it's nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment