Thursday, August 4, 2011

the good, the bad, and the ugly

The Good

I'll talk about the good news first. We are still in progress to sell our home and to close on September 8, 2011. That's good news, because we'll be closing on our new home in Tampa on August 31, and it will be great to have only one mortgage at a time. The buyers agreed to our new conditions, and that is a great thing ... because it saves us time from having to get more buyers through here who want to offer and going through all of that mess ... again! Saving time is a good thing.

The Bad

We did not get the appraisal we were hoping for on our current home. In fact, it was much less than we had hoped for. It seems God is teaching us a lesson through this ... and I guess not every part of this move is going to go as smoothly as it has been. Too bad for us ... because so far, we were doing pretty well. This throws a wrench into our plans ... a big, fat wrench.

The Ugly

Goodbye money! We have put a lot of time but mostly a lot of money into this house, and it has eaten it up and laughed at us. We are currently being mocked by the housing market, and although many, many Americans are facing this right now, it doesn't ease the pain of watching your hard-earned money earn you nothing in return except debt and a feeling of failure.

Which brings me to my next point ... you know what really grinds my gears? Appraisers. What is their job for anyway? When I want to sell something ... say, my car, I list it for a certain price ... like $10,000. If someone is willing to come in and pay me $10,000 or some negotiated price (i.e., $8,500) then we have a sale. They pay me--I give them the car. Done. When we want to sell our home, we list it at a price we think people will be willing to pay for it. When a negotiated price is reached, why, oh, why does someone come in and say ... "No, no! You're house isn't worth 'x' amount of dollars. You can only sell it for this low and inhumane price. Sorry for you, and your current mortgage. It is of no concern to me." This is why so many people have to short-sale or just choose to get foreclosed on ... low appraisals. I very much think this is a wasted job. If someone wants to pay that much for our house ... then let them! As long as their mortgage company thinks they can afford it and the monthly payments ... let's do it! That's what really gets me.

We are now looking on the bright side ... we are getting out of this mess and moving on in about a month. And, it could be worse ... really our house could be appraised for MUCH cheaper than it was, so we are lucky in a way ... even if it doesn't feel like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment