Tuesday, May 10, 2011

blueberryays and strawberryays

As I told you all yesterday, Grandma and Grandpa Heinrich arrived last night for a visit. This morning, we went early to Pappy's Patch--a pick your own strawberry and blueberry patch. We got there 10 minutes before it opened ... it was an early morning for the me! I think I got up at 6:58 a.m. I suppose I better get used to that ... but God will grant me the energy when it's time with Sissy Wally ... but for now, I am usually dead asleep until at least 7:30 ... which I still feel is an early morning when I don't get Cole up until 8:30 a.m. But it's okay to have change every now and again ... plus, it was worth it for the fun at Pappy's Patch. We were the first pickers to arrive, and we got started on the blueberries.



When Cole says blueberry, it sounds like "blueberryay". It's very funny! And strawberry, of course, is "strawberryay". He learned very quickly to pick only the purple blueberryays. I feel kind of dumb for making him wear a bib, but the last time he went strawberry picking, he ended up red all over. I thought I would save a stained shirt and put on a bib. He filled up so much on blueberries that he didn't eat too many strawberries ... so the bib wasn't really necessary. Oh, well. Anyway, we picked 5 quarts of blueberries! And the berries were HUGE! They were so delicious ... we may have eaten a few pints while we picked. We were only going for blueberries, but when we saw the strawberries, we had to get some of those, too. We picked 4 quarts of strawberries! They were a smaller variety, but they were so sweet ... no sugar on these berries! There wasn't an ounce of tartness in these berries. They were all sweet and juicy!



When we go home, we enjoyed egg pancakes with sliced strawberries, fresh blueberries, homemade whipped cream, and maple syrup. Delicious! Of course, we munched on them all day long. Not wanting the berries to go to waste, we had sliced strawberries, blueberries, angel food cake, and homemade whipped cream for dessert after dinner tonight. It was worth every calorie, and I think Sissy Wally really enjoyed it. She bounced around all evening thanking me for the yummy berries! Colton ate his own pancakes for breakfast, but he mooched off of everyone's dessert after dinner. I think he got berries and cream from almost everyone! I guess no one can say no to a, "Strawberryays, blueberryays ... please!?! THANK YOU!"

Of course, Grandma played and played with Colton this morning after breakfast. They must've read every book ... possibly twice! He is enjoying this extra bit of attention.

This afternoon, we swam in the pool. It was a pretty hot day! Billy and Dad H went on a hunt for a used part for the Pontiac, but Mom H, Cole, and I took a dip in the cool water. It was really nice! Colton likes the water, but he also just likes to run around the backyard. He takes munches off of our blueberry bush! I didn't get any pictures of our afternoon, but Mom H did ... maybe I'll add some later.

This evening, Grandpa read Colton a book or two and fed him plenty! They are becoming real good buds. Colton likes that Grandpa feeds him little treats! Grandpa even pushed Colton on the walk tonight.



We had a good and BUSY day today. Tomorrow ... will be a relaxing one for me, as I decided to cash in my spa day gift from Brenda, Debbie, and Cherrie. I am very excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment