Saturday, May 14, 2011

a busy week

This has been one busy, but fun, week. We picked blueberries and strawberries TWICE! The last time we went, we picked 12 quarts of blueberries and 6 quarts of strawberries. That's a lot of berries! We have had them on everything ... and you don't even want to see what Colton's diapers have looked like. It's incredible how many blueberries he's eaten this week! We've also been in the pool a few times. Colton was really getting into the pool the last time he was out there. I guess the water is getting warmer, so he is getting more comfortable.

On Wednesday, I was fortunate enough to be able to use my spa gift certificate that I got for my birthday from my sisters-in-law. I went to Blush Day Spa.

I got a one hour massage. Then I got a customized one hour facial. I ended my morning with a manicure and a pedicure. All-in-all, I was there for 3 1/2 hours, and it was amazing! I'm so glad to have been able to use the gift and get a relaxing morning. It felt wonderful! Here's what my nails looked like when I finished.
Everything was wonderful, but the real treat was the facial! I had no idea they were so amazing! My certificate was good for 3 services. I definitely wanted a massage, and I knew that would be incredible. I haven't had a pedicure in forever, so I was for sure getting the mani/pedi. I just couldn't figure out what the third service should be. I finally settled on a facial. I thought it would be okay. It ended up being a mini-massage/facial that lasted one hour! It was so wonderful ... I'm very happy I chose the facial.

After my morning of relaxation, I enjoyed a delicious treat ... I got a decaf-coconut mocha frappacino from Starbucks. It was wonderful! I saw that my friend, Steph, had enjoyed one over Mother's Day weekend, and I was curious to find out what it was like. It was very tasty! My expectations weren't let down a bit. It was a wonderful Wednesday!


On Friday afternoon, my friend, Mellie, invited me to go to Fire Me Up, a paint your own ceramics place in Winter Park. I was excited to go and release my creative abilities. This is me with Mellie after our creative afternoon!

She always makes piggy banks for her nephews (and will for her niece next spring) when they turn one, so she decided to make one for Mei Li, who turns one on May 25! I painted a puppy dog bank for Colton. It took me FOUR hours! I am way too particular. Plus, you have to go over each color 3 times! I felt so bad, but I did have a good time with Mellie and her friend, April, who came and painted a truck for her son ... who is just a little bit younger than Colton. We had paint out everywhere ... and may have broken the rules of using paint bowls. Oh, well! Here is our work station.


This is Colton's bank before ....

I think I picked something that needed a lot of detail, and I really went at it. I have a problem just letting things go ... if I mess up, I try to fix it as best I can ... then I take as long as I can being careful. It looks nice, but you never know how glaze will turn out once it's fired! Here's how it looked four hours later.

This is Colton's bank after the painting but before the firing ....

I can't wait to see what it will look like when it's fired! I hope all of the colors turned out like I expected them to. It was fun having an afternoon to hang out with a friend. What a delight!

Today, we went to church and had a fun time with Colton's friend Mateo at Sabbath School. Of course, Colton got to see Mei Mei, and since it was when we had stepped out of the church service (for lack of his ability to pay attention), he was running from and chasing Mei Mei ... and of course, squealing with great delight. He just loves her. That makes me so happy to see ... I think he'll be a great big brother to a little sister. Colton is enjoying what little church he made it through with Grandpa Heinrich.

After church, we went to eat dinner at Brenda and Gerson's house. Colton fell asleep on the way home from church. I brought him inside to change his diaper. He didn't wake up. I flopped him on the couch after I changed him. He didn't wake up. I took him in and out of the car 3 times. He didn't wake up. I laid him in his pack'n'play ... he burst into tears and didn't sleep for the rest of the afternoon! What a silly boy! It rained pretty hard this afternoon, so we stayed at Brenda's until about 4:20 p.m. When we got home, we put Colton in his crib ... he's been fast asleep for the past hour and a half!

I'm not sure what we'll be up to tonight, but I'm sure we'll be seeing family and playing games somewhere. Either at our house or Brenda's, I guess. They don't have power there, so unless it comes back on, it will probably be here. It's hard to play games by candlelight.

It was a busy ... but a good week.

2 comments:

  1. Your nails look amazing. I didn't get a chance to see them while we were painting pottery. I really had so much fun with you, it was so nice to have some girl time without kids. It didn't bother me that it took 4 hours. I took that long my first time too, and I didn't even do that many details. You are so talented, I feel like I need to get more creative and do more details on my next piece. Maybe we'll have to do special pieces when we have time to go back so we don't have to feel the pressure to get it done in one sitting. The only downside is that they charge a $5 sitting fee or something like that for each time you come back. Regardless, we should do it again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I would love to do it again. I definitely want to make the owl bank for the new little one. My nails were all messed up by Friday! It's sad, but I find that I just can't do manicures. They get all messed up after one day of working around the house.

    ReplyDelete