Saturday, April 16, 2011

camping adventures

We took Colton on his first camping adventure this weekend to Tomoka Springs National Park just north of Daytona, FL in Ormond Beach. To say he had a great time would be an understatement. Colton loves the great outdoors! He can't get enough of the backyard, park, and our evening walks. As soon as we got to the campsite, he found a "broom" to keep himself busy with as Billy and I set up the camp. He swept and swept the whole campsite. What a good little helper!



Colton loved the tent. He wanted to go inside of it or lay on top of it from the outside. He thought it was so funny when I got in the tent and peeked at him through the windows! He would smash his face on the screen and lean in to peek at me. Our sleeping situation was a family combo. We snuggled up really nicely together!

Billy made a nice big fire, and Cole was careful to listen to us and not get too close. Plus, it was raging hot! He did, however, want to put the wood in the "basket" and kept picking up pieces and taking them to the fire to throw in. What a good assistant to the fire maker he was!



Before dark, we went on a walk to the Halifax River. It was such a great evening to be outside! There was a nice breeze, and we really enjoyed walking around the park.








After our walk, we had dinner, and we enjoyed the fire a bit before we took Colton into the tent to get ready for bed. Colton enjoyed sitting by the fire and eating a little meal. He was a very good boy, and he stayed in our campsite the whole time!




Colton also got to try his first toasted marshmallow! He wasn't too sure at first, but he decided that a warm ball of sugar hit the spot and gobbled it up!




....... Colton cheesing at the camera .......

....... Playing around with Dad before bed .......

...... Such a big smile! .......

As soon as we put Colton down to sleep and stepped out of the tent, we heard a little voice ask, "Mommy? Mommy? Mommy? Daddy? Mommy?" There was some small whimpering and then ... silence ... we peeked into the tent to see Colton sprawled out in the middle of the bed, face down, sound asleep.

The middle of the night is another story. I wake up to the sound of Colton's voice yelling, "Plane!" I hear it, too. A plane flies over heading somewhere and the pilot having no idea that a small, 16-month old boy has roused from his sleep to announce to his parents that this plane is flying by ... and we should know about it! (I do have to mention that since I have been pregnant again, I can't go a night without getting up at least once, if not twice, to use the restroom. I did get up, unzip the tent, zip it again and head out into the night ... just to make all of that noise again getting back into the tent. I thought Colton had slept through it, but of course, a gaggle of girls, staying up late into the wee hours of the night raised their voices high into the night as they, also, headed to the bathroom. We stayed a little too close to the restrooms, for this is what finally got Colton to wake up ... his Mommy and the girl gaggle.) After he announced the flight of the airplane, Colton leaned on Daddy and peeked into his face to see if he was awake. No luck. So he patted his side and peeked again ... still no luck. I quickly closed my eyes as he headed toward me. Through a slice of opening in my eyelids, I see his head nearly smashed into mine to see if I am awake. After figuring no one was up, he stands up and yells, "PUPPY!" (I had to bring his puppy pillow camping.) "PUPPY, PUPPY!" And when that doesn't work, he flops down between us and says, "Blanket! Oh, blanket!" Finally, I hear Billy say, "Shhhh, Colton. Nigh-Night." Billy informed me that it was 2:47 a.m. I, finally, sat up and laid him down with his blanket. He laid there quietly for a while, but I could tell he wasn't sleeping. After what seemed like 30 minutes of me waiting for him to fall asleep again, so I could escape on another bathroom break, I hear him say, "Feet. Feeeeet. Feet." I just decided to quit waiting and left the tent. As I walked away, I could hear a small cry ... Colton didn't know where I was going. When I got back, he was still laying there, chewing on his blanket ... talking about his feet. I finally couldn't stay awake any longer, and I fell asleep. I thought he would be up for the rest of the morning, but sometime while it was still dark, I woke up and saw he was out like a light, so I scooted him close to Billy and went back to bed. The next morning, we woke up to Colton too excited to have Mommy and Daddy right there with him. He got us up around 7:45 a.m. Billy told me that Colton had been laying SO close to him that he had to roll him away, so he could use the blanket, and sometime during the night, Colton's head was on me, but his feet were on Billy ... kicking away with all his might into Billy's side. What a nut! Needless to say, he was exhausted all day long! But he enjoyed his breakfast outside and a morning walk to the park.



I think we'll be doing this again ... but as it's April and we're already having 92 degree days, it may have to be next camping season. Tomorrow, we're off to Tampa to visit friends for the day. No rest for the weary! :)

2 comments:

  1. It looks like you had an amazing time! There is only thing that I HATE about this trip...that we weren't there, too. Remember how much fun we had camping?! I will never forget all of our funny pictures. What treasures:) I love the broom thing. He is such a trip. Love him and you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you guys were there, too! That would have made it complete. :)

    ReplyDelete