Thursday, April 21, 2011

cole's discovery

I try to put the plants in an out-of-the-way location. I used to make Colton refrain from digging in the plant pots, and for a while, he was very good at leaving them alone. But the more he discovered the fun of dirt outside, the more he wanted to play in the pots inside. So, I moved them to a place where he rarely plays, so he wouldn't be tempted to dig in and throw dirt around the house. I got Colton up from his nap, and I let him wander through the house to his usual play area. He's usually pretty hungry and yells, "breakfast" all of the way to the dining room. I'll correct him and tell him that we're about to have lunch, and then he'll change his tune to "lunch, lunch, lunch" as he runs to his high chair. Today, he wandered through the house slowly. I didn't think much of it. There were a few things different about his walk through the house today. During his nap, I removed one of the two baby gates, because our garage door is down for the count ... I have to put his stroller in the house to take in and out of the front door until we fix it. It's much easier to get in and out with the gate removed. He loved walking through the hallway where the gate usually stands, so I let him play there while I folded some laundry. When I hadn't heard anything for a while, I called to him. He came around the corner and smiled at me. It seemed like things were going okay, so I let him keep playing. A little bit later, I realized that I hadn't heard anything for a while. I called, "Colton, where are you?" He came running, but I could see something wrong with him. His little hands were black, and I could see something on his shirt. He had been digging and throwing dirt from the plant pots all around the family room. Little Colton feet had spread dirt in a trail through the kitchen, and he was having a grand 'ole time. I quick wiped his hands and brushed the dirt off of his shirt and sent him packing into the living room. I went to assess the damage, and here's what I found.


Now, let me tell you a little bit about my non-green thumb. I kill all living house plants. I am lucky to have plants survive outside ... I think I'm even killing my grass somehow. I don't know what my issue is, but plants die in my house. I have tried ... note the three pots ... two empty and one deathly sick aloe plant. What you can't see is another dead plant on the other side of the room. I guess Colton gave me a little boost to try again. We had to go to Home Depot today anyway to get some other items, so I talked to the lady in the nursery and asked her about plants that do well inside the home ... and are a hearty breed! Thanks to Cole's dirt digging day 'o fun, I decided to spruce up the house a bit and turn those ugly, dead, dirt-filled pots into something beautiful--for now. I sure hope they stay like this and only get more beautiful. But I'm not holding my breath ... as I haven't seen too much promise for me as a gardner.


Today, I have gotten a lot done around the house. I have done several loads of laundry, cleaned the kitchen for Sabbath, gone through all of my clothes and gotten rid of TWO bags full of clothing and shoes, cleaned the bathrooms for Sabbath, taken care of the pool, organized my dresser drawers, swept the floor (twice), and picked the weeds out in our front yard flower beds. It has been a great day! When I look at the bags of clothing--some of which I haven't been able to part with for YEARS, I am excited to see myself de-cluttering, and I am sad to see some things that I have traveled in, gone to high school in, played sports in, etc. being given away. It's a good thing, though. I've needed to de-clutter my clothing for a long time.


Unfortunately, this doesn't mean I won't be shopping to replace some of my lost items. I did, however, find my lost maternity shorts ... so there's a little less shopping for me to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment